Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Week Part 1

So, I started out the morning like usual being cold, tired, and lacking caffeine. The first person in the lane of stupidity otherwise known as the drive-thru to the rest of the world was a former patient of ours. He had moved to a neighboring state some time ago (a blessing from the powers that be mind you) and was back in town for some reason or another. He told my tech that he needed a transfer. Okay, fine. Not a problem except that the out of state pharmacy didn't open for a couple of hours due to time differences between the two states.

Pt. "You have to give me a tablet now. I've been out of the med for a day now" in a tone that said I'm spoiled and now it's your problem.

CitWC "I need to transfer the prescription first."

Pt. "No, I need a tablet now, I'm going to do errands."

At this point I wanted to ask him just how many pharmacies he passed between state A and state B before he darkened my doorstep again. Seriously, I don't give a damn about his business and if the Lamictal was so important, why is he over 24 hours past due. Bear in mind that this guy wouldn't even look at me while talking to me. I had to read lips from the profile of his face while trying to hear what he was saying through an ancient mic/speaker system with the wind blowing in the background. I wasn't going to fight him on this, not because I was afraid he was going to go to the manager or take his business elsewhere, or even call the dreaded corporate number. I caved because I would feel bad if he went about his errands and either seized while driving (don't ask me why he's driving if he's prone to seizing) or if he had a psychotic break and hurt someone all because I didn't feel like giving in to his pissy demands. Stupid reasons, I know. Moving on...

I gave him a tablet in a vial, didn't even bother to label it though I seriously considered just plunking it down on the drive-thru tray. I told him if he came back before 3pm he could find another pharmacy and not get his precious store savings points. I felt sorry for his current pharmacy because he was a problem child for us and I can only imagine what hell they've put up with because he's a new customer and holds that leverage for a time that all new people do.

When I finally did get a chance to fill and check his script, I had the joy of filling it with a different manufacturer so that tabs looked completely different. I know the patient has a tendency to err on the side of paranoia, sticker stating that "This is the same medication you've been getting" aside....

No comments: